Dave Anderson and Dad (John Anderson) proudly wearing the Gibraltar national team tops at Bridlington

We are here again: Bridlington, the European Blackball Championship.  I have to admit to feeling a bit dazed at being here, so much has happened in the past 12 months, most of it a distraction to playing good pool, so this year I have  a huge challenge ahead of me.

This year has been full of personal distractions.  I started my own business and had to put heart and soul into getting that off the ground.  Playing pool was almost a form of relaxation rather than training for international games.

Then, at the start of 2017, along with the joy of becoming a grandfather again with the birth of our first granddaughter, came the devastation of losing my mother to cancer.  It's hit me hard.  Suddenly, playing pool, training, competition, didn't seem so important.  It has been hard to pick up enthusiasm the past couple of months.

My Mum and I 

Until last week, when not only did the tops arrive and the wife insisted I get a bag packed and ready for my trip to Bridlington, but Dad came on the phone.  He had decided to put his own grieving aside and travel all the way up to Bridlington from Kent to provide some well-needed moral support.  "Your mother would have wanted me to, son," he said.

My brother John's been a star, and travelled up with Dad, who's 80 now and hasn't travelled on the train for years.  They arrived yesterday evening, in time for today's opening ceremony and first matches.  I couldn't have asked for better moral support.

Yes I'm a bit nervous - who wouldn't be surrounded by European stars of the game you love to play?  But I know I've got Ma on my side, Dad among the spectators, and I can't show myself up in front of my brother.

I'm just about to get my team top on.  It's been stamped with the logos of the GPA sponsors for the event: Premier Cue Sports Ltd. and Rockstream TV Ltd.  I've also added my own personal sponsors and can't thank them enough for their moral and financial support, so a big shout out to Bedrock Gin (and yes, their gin really is the best gin in the world, I have personally sampled it - gorgeous!).  And a special mention to Mum - thanks for everything - I'm playing this one for you xx

Joan Anderson, on form and right behind her son!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the starting blocks

Taking a 'Break'

Playing pool at the Europeans: Bridlington 2019