Snooker Loopy



Gibraltar was the venue for the Betway Gibraltar Open tournament, a ranking event in the World Snooker Tour. Snooker was my first love as far as cue sports go. I played all the time as a teenager and by the time I was in my early twenties I was playing on the semi-pro circuit. I had potential, but not quite the essential mix of skill, dedication, determination and opportunity that combine to create a pro, let alone a champion of the callibre that we see on these tours.

I had planned to go and watch the Gibraltar Open - what an opportunity to spend time watching some of the world's top players showcasing your favourite sport (besides pool!). Then Her Ladyship Indoors dislocated some bone or other in her foot and I ended up with the housework, shopping and dog-walking, as well as running around after the Teenage Tyrant. Damned domesticity getting in the way of life again! So, I watched it on TV instead - thank you Eurosport - and I thoroughly enjoyed seeing Stuart Bingham raise the winner's trophy after a quality final. A well-deserved win.

Stuart Bingham raises the winner's trophy at the Betway Gibraltar Open
Photo Courtesy of Eurosport

There's always something you can learn from watching the experts: the calm approach, the neat little stepping back and rethinking before taking the plunge on a shot, the tactics on the tricky shots, the risks that are deemed worth taking. And there's nothing like watching top players to feel inspired to give it a go and enjoy the challenge of the game.

So, all in all it had been an inspiring weekend of snooker, something that had me lost in Monday morning reflection as I stood at the bus stop waiting for my bus to work. Well, it was better than mulling over the 101 or more jobs that I had to tackle that morning. That was when Stuart Bingham walked up, trailing his suitcase behind him and the biggest cue case - or what I assumed was a case for numerous cues - I had ever seen in my life, to wait for the bus too. I did a double-take of surprise.

But that's Gibraltar for you - you get used to literally bumping into vaguely famous people in the city centre or at local bars. My daughter has been photographed with Jess Glynne, chatted to Ricky Wilson and had a cuppa with a Chuckle Brother among others, and my wife's had coffee with internationally acclaimed authors. And I've waited for a bus with Stuart Bingham.

We had a pleasant chat. Stuart appeared relaxed and delightfully ordinary: a nice man going about his profession and happy to meet and spend time with a fan. A fan who lives way out at the tip of Europe, perhaps not in the most luxurious of spots as far as the world of snooker goes, but a fan nonetheless. He was as respectful towards me and towards Gibraltar as I was towards him. A happy start to the week for me.

And what a contrast to the current leading light of snooker, Ronnie O'Sullivan. Don't get me wrong, Ronnie O'Sullivan is gifted, a pleasure to watch, the standard that all snooker players want to reach. And what it would have done for a boost to the sport locally in Gibraltar if he had played in the Open last weekend. But instead, Ronnie chose to tweet about how he would rather live in a pig sty than stay in Gibraltar and play in the local Open. He can think what he likes and say what he likes. But how disappointing to all his fans here in Gibraltar, and what a let down to the sport of snooker, the sport of gentlemen.

Ronnie O'Sullivan's Gibraltar tweet

So well done Stuart Bingham, and thank you to all the players who came to Gibraltar instead of opting to roll about in a pig sty. You showcased the sport, you inspired us to keep playing and keep watching, you gathered up ranking points and took back both prize money and hopefully an enjoyable experience. I'm sure you'll all be made very welcome next time you're in Gibraltar. Ronnie O'Sullivan in the meantime, you might be the world's best snooker player, and good luck to you. But displaying common human courtesy is by far a greater achievement.

Now looking forward to the World Pool Masters next weekend. What with the league matches intensifying, the final rounds of the GPA's Giboil  and Gibtelecom sponsored Cup and Plate tournaments, as well as the singles and doubles tournaments coming up, pool is finally back to being a major feature in my life. And I'm loving it!

Gibraltar's World Pool Masters 2019

Buy Tickets to the World Pool Masters



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the starting blocks

Taking a 'Break'

Playing pool at the Europeans: Bridlington 2019